Trnava University is a modern university with a long tradition and great heritage. The University of Trnava founded in the 17th century offered education to students of many nations and played an important role in the history of Central Europe, thus contributing significantly to the development of European education and culture. Trnava was the first town in the territory of today's Slovakia to be granted privileges of the free royal town in 1238 by the Hungarian King Belo IV. The 142 years of the existence of the first comprehensive University in the multi ethnic Kingdom of Hungary represented a gold chapter in the town's history.
The University of Trnava re-opend its activity in Trnava in 1992. It is a public university with five faculties (Faculty of Philosophy and Arts, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Health Care and Social Work, Faculty of Theology, Faculty of Law). The Faculty of Philosophy and Arts was one of the founding faculties of today's University. Since its establishment, the Faculty of Philosophy and Arts has developed into a well-know scientific and educational institution where tradition and new approaches are combined. The primary mission of the Faculty of Philosophy Arts consisting of nine departments is to provide university education in philosophical, humanistic and social sciences and arts. The objective of faculty is to prepare specialists in philosophy, ethics, sociology, history, history of arts and culture, psychology, political science, classical languages and classical archaeology. The University degree system consists of Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree and Doctoral Degree (PhD.) study programmes. The University of Trnava actively participates in the Bologna Process and the Faculty of Philosophy cooperates with institutions from all parts of the world.